When I changed roles to a DevOps tooling team lead, I inherited a bunch of tools that essentially amount to ready-to-use deployment automation artifacts. They were managed as shared source. Similar to open source, features and fixes to the tooling could be implemented by anyone in the group. As my team started working with the code, we kept finding woefully out-of-date code. We also discovered improvements and features in some tools that were not in others of the exact same kind. Most this tooling was built for both Linux and Windows. We were also finding significant differences in functionality between the Linux and Windows versions of the same tools.